Experimental physicist - Tonejet
Tonejet is seeking an experimental physicist to take a leading role in shaping the future of Tonejet’s ground-breaking electrostatic digital printing technology. Working with Tonejet’s world-class team of chemists, physicists and engineers, the position requires high levels of innovation, curiosity and experimental abilities.
Part of TTP Group, Europe’s leading technology development and licensing company, Tonejet develops inks, printheads and printing systems based on its unique electrostatic printing technology. This technology enables cost effective, high quality digital printing onto a wide range of substrates. After its recent launch of the Cyclone printing system, Tonejet is set to revolutionise the printing of beverage cans for the craft beer market and beyond.
In this wide-ranging role within the R&D team, you will develop the technology and understanding that will lead to the next generation of printhead designs and ink formulations. Your responsibilities will include
- Advancing our fundamental understanding of the physical processes behind the ejection of Tonejet ink through experimental work
- Developing and prototyping new printhead concepts, and characterising their performance
- Developing new processes for printhead manufacture
- Designing, building and operating experimental rigs to deepen understanding of inks, printheads and their interaction
You will be capable of planning, progressing and delivering work of a high standard and be highly motivated and resourceful. The successful candidate will have:
- A 1st or 2:1 degree in Physics or a related discipline. A PhD would be an advantage
- At least 2 years experience in a scientific, R&D or product development role
- A solid understanding of electrostatic physics
- Hands-on practical experimental abilities combined with good analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; the ability to communicate complex ideas in a straightforward manner and to interact effectively with colleagues at all levels. Proactive and self-motivated with ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams in a focused industrial research environment.
- An understanding of electrophoretics, colloids, inkjet printing or microfluidics
- Experience of design and build of test and measurement apparatus
- Experience of micro-scale fabrication and clean-room processing techniques
- A knowledge of analytical packages such as MATLAB, Octave or SciPy
- Experience of LabView programming for test and measurement
- Programming experience in C++ or C#
The successful candidate will participate in a fast moving, world class business, with the opportunity to make a visible contribution to its success and growth. The company offers a competitive salary, opportunities for training and professional development and a broad range of benefits.
Tonejet is part of TTP Group and is an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire. Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- A generous employer pension contribution
- Employee share scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Profit share
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Life insurance
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.