Consultant Mechanical Engineer
Mechanical Engineers at TTP invent novel technologies and technological products that make a difference to people’s lives, grow our clients’ businesses and help our business thrive. These can be in a wide range of application areas – for example saving patients’ eyesight by positioning implants accurately in their eye, or making power tools safer and easier to use.
Creativity, empirical evidence, robust theoretical evidence based on mathematical or computational models, and your understanding of the technical and business objectives – these are the elements you need to combine when solving problems and setting the course of a project.
Your work will have a clear and direct impact on ambitious projects, by working in small teams with a high degree of devolved responsibility. This will draw on your broad interest in Mechanical Engineering, your ability to quickly grasp unfamiliar topics and your effective collaboration with people from a variety of backgrounds.
You will be involved in all aspects of technology and product development including invention, analysis, computational modelling, prototype design, laboratory testing, process development, and transfer to manufacturing.
Your project planning skills and judgement will enable you to balance carefully the uncertainties of R&D with time and budget constraints. High levels of communication, alignment, and trust enable each team member’s insight and energy to shape outcomes and contribute to team goals.
You will grow strong, collaborative relationships with clients and prospective clients, understanding them along with their strategy and vision, developing plans that they buy into, and maintaining this understanding and buy-in through the successes and setbacks of challenging technology projects. With experience, your combination of increasing market and technology insight will enable you to uncover valuable new business opportunities and even new areas of business.
The essential requirements for this role are:
- A first or 2:1 in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline from a world-class university.
- Ability to generate theoretical and empirical evidence.
- Insatiable curiosity. Whether it’s new technology, unfamiliar engineering principles or how a business makes money, you dig down to generate valuable insight
- Communication skills. You enjoy collaborating and presenting your work to others and explaining why it matters to them.
- Drive. You take on new responsibilities, seek challenging objectives, and pursue them with tenacity and pragmatism.
Candidates with greater experience will increasingly fulfil these additional requirements:
- Leadership. You build collaboration by engaging with the needs and perspectives of clients, colleagues, and other stakeholders, enabling you to act in others’ interests, build confidence, and establish trust.
- Insight. You demonstrate technical and commercial insight and the ability to apply these to development decisions, and to uncovering commercial opportunities.
- Initiative. You seek out opportunities – whether technological, commercial, personal, or otherwise – and take action to make the most of them.
- Employer pension contribution of 12% (+3% personal contribution)
- Profit related bonus
- Enhanced share purchase scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.